In honour of International Chick Lit Month, and my favourite chick lit novel, Why I Love My Gay Boyfriend, which also happens to my own novel, I attempt to demystify why smart women love chick lit.
1. Guilty Pleasure – women like to know that someone is unluckier and clumsier than them but so darn loveable at the same time!
2. Intrigue and Giggles – a one-stop shop for torrid affairs, silly humour and exclamation marks!
3. Happy Ending – get the guy, get revenge, emerge victorious.
4. Female Indulgence – there’s a girly girl in all of us and chick lit is unapologetically for women.
5. Light Fun – we work hard and we work a lot. At the end of the day, there’s only so much room in our brains.
Which is why, as a courtesy, I’m ending this list at 5.